UC Irvine Health
The Director, Risk and Regulatory Affairs will report to the Chief Health Sciences Counsel and is responsible for the development and implementation of the UCIMC Risk and Regulatory Affairs programs. The Director will advise executive leadership on policies and practices regarding risk management/loss-prevention and regulatory issues. Additionally, the Director will be responsible of ensuring consistent practice of policies throughout the medical center. Function includes legal affairs liaison relative to litigation and compliance with applicable medical/ethical statutes. The Director will direct the organization’s insurance programs as well as oversee the various accreditation, certification, and licensing functions for the organization and formalizes responsibilities for all regulatory compliance.
UC Irvine Health comprises the clinical, medical education and research enterprises of the University of California, Irvine. Patients can access UC Irvine Health at physician offices throughout Orange County and at its main campus, UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange UCIMS), California. Located in the heart of Orange County, UCI enjoys the best of what Southern California has to offer: beaches, mountains, deserts, and a broad variety of cultural, entertainment, and intellectual activities.
Essential Job Functions:
• Identifies and participates in reviews of adverse events through the Intensive Review and/or Root Cause Analysis process. Ensures submission of all incidents and claims reports required to comply with legal and regulatory mandated reporting requirements.
• Legal resource to administration/faculty/staff on all types of litigation, healthcare & ethical issues. Handles all legal notices ensuring rights of Regents/organization/staff/faculty are protected. Facilitates handling of all potential & actual malpractice, employment & general liability claims.
• Functions as internal resource to Case Management, Clinical Social Work with regard to problematic patient discharge and placement issues.
• Functions as an integral member of the organization’s Ethics Committee.
• Chairs organization’s Policy Review Committee. Analyzes, develops and recommends policy/procedural changes focused on risk prevention, reduction of risk exposure, and compliance with applicable licensing and accreditation agencies.
• Develops plans and maintains an internal Risk Management program to control risks and losses to comply with existing CA statutes, Title 22, TJC, UC guidelines and other appropriate regulatory agencies. Plans, develops and oversees Risk Management educational program.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required (Masters preferred)
• RN or JD
• A minimum of five years Health Care Law background/experience.
• A minimum of three years of director level experience in a medium to large size health care facility.
• A minimum of five years in litigation claims management experience.
• A minimum three to five years experience in managing lines of insurance and coverage.
Please direct all formal applications (resume and cover letter), nominations and inquiries to WK Advisors Consultants’, Ben Haden and April Allen, preferably via e-mail to: UCIHealthDirRisk@wkadvisors.com