Carnegie Mellon University
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) has an immediate opening for a Research Administrator at the CMU Pittsburgh location. We are a diverse academic community just shy of 1,400 individuals (faculty, staff and students) and include global research and teaching efforts through extensions of our Pittsburgh academic programs and research in Silicon Valley, Portugal, Africa, Thailand and Singapore.
In this role you will provide a full range of complex research administration pre- and post-award support. You will be responsible for coordinating and implementing the pre-award budgeting and proposal submission process from 'cradle to grave' for multiple faculty members and researchers in ECE. Additionally, you will provide post-award support for a portfolio of research, gift, discretionary and other funding. This support will include account set-up, forecasting, monthly monitoring of expenditures, effort planning and tracking, budget modifications, financial reporting and account closeout procedures. You will have daily interaction with faculty, staff and researchers, federal and non-federal sponsors, finance and research representatives from subcontracting institutions, CMU’s Office of Sponsored Programs, Office of Research Integrity and Compliance, and Sponsored Projects Accounting Office, as well as finance and research administration counterpart’s campus-wide. Lastly, you will participate as an active and collaborative member of the ECE Research Administration team, participating in team meetings, trainings and professional development.
You will demonstrate the following:
- At least 3 or more years of sponsored research administration or related business administration experience in an academic setting.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, in a time sensitive, high-volume work environment while managing several projects at a time.
- Ability to provide the highest level of customer service to the faculty (the client).
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of people (faculty, collaborators, CIT pre-award team, other departments, central offices, sponsoring agencies).
- A high level of integrity, always serving as a representative of the department and a steward of department and university funds.
- Excellent attention to detail, dedication to personal and professional integrity and quality control.
- Ability to maintain the necessary levels of technical acumen needed to do the job, as well as an ability to learn new systems and applications to do the job even better; be creative and innovative in problem solving.
- An enthusiastic approach in identifying potential issues and developing and presenting possible solutions to your manager.
- Ability to be flexible with changing deadlines and demands in order to get the job done; prioritize workload effectively, foresee problem areas, and seek immediate action/direction from your manager as needed.
- High level of excellence, professionalism and clarity in both written and verbal skills.
This position will be hired at a Research Administrator or Senior Research Administrator level depending on applicant experience. A CRA (Certified Research Administrator) certification and 5+ years of relevant work experience is required for an applicant to be considered at the senior level.
Are you passionate about this dynamic opportunity with us? Please apply and submit a letter of interest and resume as a PDF.
TO APPLY: visit https://cmu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2011685